It's important to prepare well in advance of a move to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible. Here are some tips to plan accordingly to ensure you're ready when the big moving day comes.
Haven't found a home yet? Search now for properties in Saskatoon and area.
For printable checklists for moving day and change of address, please see below.
10 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING
- Ask your REALTOR® how you will receive the keys to your new home and the time when it is appropriate for you to enter.
- If you are planning a renovation, getting it done before you move in is ideal. You may need to order renovation materials in advance of your move so the work can begin as soon as you have possession.
8 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING
- Contact movers or rental truck companies to get estimates.
- If you have unwanted or unneeded items, plan a garage sale and set a date.
- If you have children, enroll them in the new school and transfer school records.
- Start a "move file" for all receipts, papers, and estimates related to your move. This will come in handy come tax time!
- If needed, book time off from work for moving day.
- Make any needed travel arrangements and reservations.
6 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING
- Identify any large items that will be donated to charity or taken to the landfill.
- Identify any hazardous items that require special disposal or recycling. Your municipality's website should have the full details on how to safely dispose of or recycle certain items.
- If you have kids, make sure they understand what's happening and when. Small children may benefit from stories about moving or activities that include the idea of moving. If possible, take them to visit your new home.
- Contact your doctor, dentist, and veterinarian and obtain copies of all records. Arrange to transfer files to the new healthcare providers.
4 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING
- Schedule disconnect dates with your local utility company. Use expressadress.com for a simplified way to access multiple providers at one time.
- Begin packing, starting with things you use most infrequently and make note of any items that may require additional insurance when moving.
- Contact Canada Post and arrange for mail forwarding to your new address.
2 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING
- Clean out your safe deposit box.
- Reconfirm your moving arrangements.
- Have your car serviced if you will be moving/driving a long distance.
- Update or transfer your homeowner's insurance, vehicle insurance, and any other policies you may have.
1 WEEK BEFORE MOVING
- Clean out the refrigerator and defrost the freezer.
- Refill prescriptions.
- Set aside everything you'll need for moving day and night (for showering and sleeping - including your bed and linens) in a special area. These items should go in the van last so that they come out first (or taken with you in your vehicle).
- Organize any keys and make sure they're labelled.
- Set out manuals for any appliances you're leaving behind. Place them somewhere the new owner will spot them quickly, like the kitchen counter.
- Disconnect any electronics and keep all cables, adapters and other hardware organized and handy so that you can reconnect everything easily. Labelled freezer bags taped to the units can save a lot of time.
ON MOVING DAY
- Make sure you have a great breakfast - you're going to need it.
- Have any paperwork you need today somewhere easy to access.
- Remove linen from beds and pack, along with any towels.
- Dismantle beds as much as possible.
- Put any keys you're leaving for the new resident in an obvious place.
- Do any final cleaning touch-ups. A clean space with all garbage removed is one of the nicest housewarming gifts you can give to the new resident.
- Do a final check of closets, the basement, and other areas where things may have been forgotten.
- If you've been renting, your former landlord may want to do a walk-through inspection with you.
- Discuss your inventory and do the walkabout with the moving supervisor.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS CHECKLIST
Send Change of Address Cards to:
❏ Post Office
❏ Charge Accounts
❏ Make arrangements with the moving company
Disconnect utilities, get refunded for any deposits made and advise where final bills are to be sent:
❏ Cable – Need a new email address?
❏ Water Softener Rental
❏ Recycling contracts
❏ Cancel Alarm contract
Transfer Bank Accounts:
❏ Chequing account
❏ Savings and Investment accounts
❏ Safe deposit box
❏ Have the bank recommend an affiliate in the new city
❏ Civic Organizations
Notify Insurance Companies:
❏ Home Owners
❏ Check with insurance agent on coverage of life, car, and household goods en-route to new home.
❏ Obtain school records for children
❏ Obtain birth and baptismal records for all family members
❏ Obtain legal records
❏ Check to see if your Will must be re-written when moving across provincial or state borders
Obtain Medical Records:
❏ General practitioner
❏ Have prescription drugs refilled
❏ Have car tuned up for trip
❏ Leave keys and necessary legal papers with your Realtor®